GFWC Website Link
The General Federation of Women's Clubs was founded in 1890 but traces
its roots back to 1868 when an accomplished newspaperwoman, Jane Cunningham Croly, was denied admittance to a banquet honoring
Charles Dickens at the all-male New York Press Club. She organized an all-woman club (Sorosis) and held another banquet honoring
Mr. Dickens. The Sorosis Club members soon learned of other women's clubs and proposed a conference. In 1889 the delegates
from 61 clubs met in New York City and the new constitution and organizational plans were adopted in 1890. The US Congress
chartered the GFWC in 1901. The national headquarters is now located in Washington, DC. See the organization's web site at
www.gfwc.org for more information.